BW 23) Which of the 5 core beliefs of the Enlightenment do you think the following quote relates to and why? What is your opinion of it?
“Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.” – Jean Jacques […]
BW 22) Read about Adam Smith on p. 156. What was the name of the book he wrote and what kind of economic system did he support?
Smith quote on p. 156
On board T-Chart with Hobbes and […]
1. BW 21) How was Voltaire similar to Locke? (p. 156)
2. “Outrage in Ferguson” article in Upfront Magazine (get hard copy from me)
a. Summarize article
b. Explain what Hobbes would think of […]
On Tuesday you will be given a handout for the “Enlightenment Deck of Cards Project.” It is also attached here for reference. The project is due Friday and, in addition to the points for the project itself, will […]
1. BW 20) Which philosopher do you agree with more and why, Hobbes or Locke? (debate and p. 155)
2. Hobbes vs. Locke rap battles
3. Social Contract – Difference between Hobbes and Locke
BW 19) Select one of the 5 core beliefs of the Enlightenment and explain how it still influences our world today. (notes)
ASK: How did these beliefs influenced the way people thought about government?
BW 18) Explain what the “scientific method” is and name two figures that helped develop it. (p. 154)
Start with Plague song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZy6XilXDZQ
What did you guys learn from doing […]
Philosophical debate about how government should be run heated up when the English Revolution / Civil War of the mid-1600s questioned the purpose and function of kings and queens (monarchs). Two key British […]
BW 17) Explain how overseas trade and exploration influenced the scientific revolution. (p. 153)
Pre-tests for SLOs
NOTES: 5 Core Ideas of the Enlightenment 5 Core Beliefs of Enlightenment
BW 16) What did Johannes Gutenberg do in 1455? What culture was the first to invent this, however? List the four intellectual movements Gutenberg helped “energize.” (read p. 145)
Case of […]
To access the online textbook:
sign in here: http://www.learntci.com/student/sign_in
Teacher email address: email@example.com
Students will use their […]
The Scientific Revolution preceded and developed alongside the Enlightenment (which we are starting to learn about this week). It was a time of great advancements in math, biology, chemistry, astronomy and more through the use of the scientific method.
1. Take a look at and create a timeline from the one at this site:
BW 13) What are your thoughts on September 11, 2001 today in 2014? Explain your view.
Class discussion about responses to 9/11, impact, and reasons for the events that day.
MAKE-UP: Write a one paragraph […]
1. BW 11) Pick a person from history that you think made an impact on the world. Explain why they are important in your opinion.
2. Ancient Human Civilization Timeline Project
a. Create a timeline out of 4-6 pieces of paper (at least)
b. Place 40 events in chronological order on the timeline
c. Place 10 images on your timeline…[Read more]
Use the World History Timemap site to do the following:
1. Select a time period somewhere between 3500 B.C. and 1453 A.D.
2. Make a quick list of 3 things that are happening during this time period
3. Select one region to click on to view more information and summarize what happened in more detail than…[Read more]
- Load More